Monday, November 10, 2008

I get all tech savvy, kind of, and you get to hear South African accents



I'm fascinated by South Africa for many reasons: I love its politics, history, landscape, and diversity.

And I love the accents. I can't get enough of the accents.

If you're interested in hearing some of these beautiful voices, check out the slide show I did while in South Africa.

It's essentially a profile of two white South Africans who lived in London for a while and then decided to return to their country and start a successful restaurant. White flight is a serious problem in South Africa. Most who have the means to get out do so. But some are coming back. While I was in South Africa, I wrote a story on the number of South Africans bucking the trend and returning to the country.

Originally, the slide show was supposed to move on the main AP wire along with my story. But then the story got sent out as part of a special AP service that doesn't send out multi-media projects, so the slide show went nowhere.

Shame for me, and shame for the two adorable guys I made talk to me for over an hour.

If you're ever in Joburg, check out The Attic in Parkhurst and buy them a drink for me. *>)

No comments: