Sunday, March 29, 2009

Taking one for the team

My second column came out last week. It was about "boomerang kids," a.k.a adult children who move back home.

I cringed a bit as I wrote it, picturing angry old men reading my words, shaking their heads, and saying "lazy kids these days just can't stop mooching off their parents."

But the reception was positive, thank god, although also a little... strange.

The next morning I got a few emails thanking me for writing the column, which was very appreciated, and made the mild amount of humiliation I suffered through writing it worthwhile.

A few hours later I got a call from an unrecognizable number. Turned out it was a suitor who read my column, saw my photo, thought we might get along and wanted to ask me out on a date.

I didn't know what to do. This conversation was taking place at noon, at work, in front of several cube mates.

Partially because I admired him for taking the risk, and partially, honestly, because I thought it would be a good story to tell, I said yes.

I have since been assured by another reporter who knows this man that he is not a stalker, felon, or weirdo with any sort of questionable past.

Tuesday night is the night. We'll be meeting in a very public place.

Is this stupid? I don't know.

I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.

5 comments:

Nathaniel said...

Do it, do it, do it. Someone who (I assume) regularly reads the paper, appreciated your wit and intellect, and has the balls to call you at work for a date sounds like a winner to me. Here's to hoping for a pleasant surprise :)

js said...

It may be stupid but who cares. It will make for a great story and isn't that what life is all about?

Brooke said...

go devon! take a chance on it. i think it's incredibly gutsy to call in after reading your column and i think every one deserves to have someone think that highly of them and their work. keep us posted on how it goes! i really think you have nothing to lose, especially since he's already been screened as a non-stalker/non-psycho. which is more than we can say for many dc guys. am i right?!?! hehehe....

it doesn't have to be perfect, just have fun...and who couldn't use another friend in the wayne?

Meryl said...

I agree with my wise friends. It can't hurt. You might as well meet the guy; if it doesn't work out, at least you'll know you tried...

Jaclyn said...

I'm still up for accidentally bumping into you, if you want that reassurance ;)