Monday, October 13, 2008

The fall, friendly neighbors and something weird


Darlyn* and I went for several walks in the neighborhood this weekend.

It's our thing. We love staring at squirrels, barking at deer, and exploring all kinds of animal carcasses.

But this is something we usually do in the summer months, when I'm visiting home for a week or so. I can't remember the last time we've done this in the fall.

As we were walking, I realized that it's been 8 years since I've seen Indiana in autumn.

How could it be? Growing up, this was always my favorite season. Throughout the last few years, I've had an unexamined but powerful urge to come back here during the fall. Now I understand why.

(I know, I know; Careful what you wish for.)

As Darlyn darted in and out of the bushes, I started to feel lucky to be back here. There was so much in front of me to appreciate: bright orange leaves falling on the lake, yellow butterflies, red berries of every shape and size, the smell of certain trees. Strange to think there was once a time when I knew the NAME of everything around me! Maybe, I thought, I'd take pictures of all the plants that caught my attention, and then look them up in a field guide later and label each one!

(Okay, so you saw the photo. I did it.)

Suddenly a minivan pulled up beside me. I'd usually cringe at the sight of this, assuming a neighbor was about to ask me why I was back in town. But in that moment a newfound sense of purpose swept away my insecurities.

"No matter that I'm unemployed, and hundreds of miles away from the worlds that I've grown to love," I thought. "I'm surrounded by glorious trees and wild creatures! The creatures can be my friends! I'll learn the names of trees!"

Then Larry, my next door neighbor of 20 years, rolled down the window.

I haven't really spoken to Larry in years. And even if I'd wanted to chat, he wouldn't have time. Larry is a 61-year-old Jewish toothpick, who runs 10 miles a day. He's a single father of NINE children, ranging from 3 to 19 years old. The first is from a wife who passed away years ago, the second came to him through surrogacy. The other seven are adopted from South America. Rumor has it he's been asked to go on talk shows to discuss his life, but he's declined. He's something of a character, to put it mildly.

"This is weird. Really weird," he said. "I have something weird to tell you, but I think it'll be fine. Can I tell you something weird?"

"Sure," I said. "Tell me something weird."

"I told your parents this the other day. And I think I should tell you, too."

"Go for it."

"Have you heard of Match.com or eHarmony?"

"Yes," I said, waiting for the story on the way...

"YOU SHOULD DO IT!" he said, grinning. "Why not have some fun while you're here!!!!"

I didn't really know how to respond, so I told Larry this was a wonderful idea, and that I'd sign up as soon as I could.

"Let me know how it goes!" he said, and drove away.

Fall is great, I thought. But will end eventually.

And I went home and sent out three job applications.


* Darlyn, my ditzy but devoted golden retriever, will feature rather prominently in my blog, as she is one of my four friends in Fort Wayne and has no choice but to spend time with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Match.com ehh. Not until you are safely back in NYC and then we deliberate the pros and cons of doing Match.com together. I don't want you matching way out there far away in Indiana.
E

js said...

I am really looking forward to getting to now Darlyn better. I feel like I know the rest of the family reasonably well but she has always been a bit hard to figure out.

js said...

ok I would like to revise my previous post to say that I am looking forward to getting to know Darlyn better not getting to now her better - I am new to the blogesphere and did not proofread my post.