Saturday, October 11, 2008

Goodbye South Africa, hello heartland


I flew into fly over country two weeks ago - tired, dazed, and carrying two bags about my size.

Flirting with the US Airways bag check guys paid off; I didn't have to pay an overweight bag fee, which is a good thing, considering I was planning to deliver a speech if I needed to fork over any extra cash.

It would have gone something like this:

Thanks, sir. I understand each bag is 15 pounds over the limit. But what's a 5 foot 2, single girl supposed to do when she leaves the country for 5 months? I need the requisite hairdryer, 12 pairs of shoes, toiletries, etc. And I was in South Africa, and absolutely had to bring back quality gifts, like a lion stuffed animal wearing a safari hat and a giraffe family made out of Coke cans.

Do airline authorities expect that I spread the weight of these necessities over THREE bags!?! I can't do that. I can't carry three bags.

Apparently the airlines hate short, single women.

So I'm back home in Fort Wayne, Indiana again. I was here back in the early spring as well, looking for jobs and working at the local paper. Then I won an Overseas Press Club Fellowship in South Africa, and spent a few months interning with the Associated Press in Johannesburg.

I know what you're thinking:

"Oh, you've just come back from South Africa! You've covered township violence, political turmoil, visits by foreign leaders and international conferences? Now you're back in Indiana, doing nothing? Oh yes, what a perfect time to start a blog!"

Touché.

Though I've actually found something to do while I'm here.

I'm working on a story about a man, a do-right rapper, actually, who tried to rob and kidnap my parents 13 years ago. It's got the makings of a great story - chock-full of drama, violence and suspense. The only downside is that everyone I need to interview would rather be wearing a winter parka in a sauna than speaking to me. Apparently talking about being robbed, robbing, or your son who robbed, isn't the way most people like to spend their afternoons.

This is part 1 of Devon's blog, "Grounded in God's Country." Thanks for reading. If all goes according to plan, part 2, the far more interesting part, the part where I leave Indiana to pursue a brilliant journalism career in New York, Johannesburg, or Washington, DC, will commence soon.

Pray for me.

1 comment:

Meryl said...

I love it Devon!! I hope Part 2 in DC comes quickly :)