Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rough night, rougher morning, sad day


The Haynie B&B/Writing Retreat lost a much-loved housemate today.

The owners aren't doing so well; the journalist tenant is touch and go.

The end came suddenly. Just a week ago, she was leaping over logs, barking at the night and licking over-cooked scrambled eggs off of breakfast plates. Then, yesterday, she couldn't stop throwing up. And she continued to get sick through the night and this morning. The vet said it was probably a tumor or liver disease. My mom had her put down around noon.

The house is eerily quiet tonight. Everyone's alone with their memories.

I'm picturing her beside my bed, looking up at me with the same doe-like face she had since she was a puppy.

We got quite close these last few months; we liked having each other around.

I'm really, really going to miss my friend.

4 comments:

Meryl said...

That was a nice post :)

I'm so sorry Devon! Losing a dog is such a hard thing. We become so attached to them that it's truly like losing a friend. But at least her suffering was quick and she's now in a better place. I wish you and your family happy thoughts today :)

Jin Lee said...

I hope all is going well with you and your parents. Darlyn is probably running around the grassy fields and barking at squirrels in heaven.

jenlai said...

Devon, I'm been thinking of you recently, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. How are you doing? =(

Hillary said...

Shit man I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. I hope you guys are doing OK.